Fresh strawberry pie is so refreshing and yummy on a summer evening. We grew up going to our grandparents house every summer and almost every time we went our Grandma Betty would make this delicious strawberry pie. Now we carry on the tradition of making this at least once a summer. Here’s how you can make it!
I love this recipe because the crust is so easy and has a hint of sweetness. It’s these three ingredients, 1/2 cup cold butter, 1 cup flour, and 2 Tbsp powdered sugar.
Mix together the three crust ingredients in a mixer or a food processor. At first it will be crumbly but it will eventually form into a ball.
You will then prep a pie pan by spraying it with cooking spray. You want to spray it because the butter tends to make the crust stick and hard to get the pie out. You will then take the ball of dough and press it into the pie pan.
You will then puncture the crust with a fork multiple times to vent it and to prevent the pie from shrinking. You will cook the pie on the bottom rack of an oven that is preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake it for fifteen minutes but make sure to check it often. The butter causes the crust to burn so make sure to keep an eye on it and take it out when it is golden brown.
While the crust is baking prepare the filling. You will mix together 1 1/2 cups of cold water, 3 Tbsp raspberry jello, 3/4 cup sugar, and 2 Tbsp of corn starch in a medium sized saucepan. We chose to use raspberry jello because it is a little tart and has a deeper red color. Heat it over medium high heat until it becomes thick and glossy like the photo below.
Once it is thick and glossy let it cool. You can place it in the fridge to chill. While it is chilling you will want to prepare your strawberries. Make sure to wash your strawberries really well and cut the tops off them. If you have large strawberries you can cut them in half. Our strawberries were small so we just left them whole. Make sure to pat dry the strawberries so there isn’t any added moister in the pie. Once the glaze is cooled add it slowly to the strawberries in a bowl. Only add a little bit of the glaze at a time. You may not use all of it. We only ended up using about 3/4 of the glaze mixture. It all depends on how many strawberries you have. We don’t have an exact measurement for how many strawberries we used. Just enough to fill the pie crust.
Once the pie crust is cooled you can pour the strawberry mixture into the crust.
Serve the pie with a large dollop of whipping cream. Make sure to use real whipping cream none of that cool whip nonsense 😉 Hope you try out our family favorite summer strawberry pie. Enjoy!
Fresh Strawberry Pie
A fresh pie that is as easy as pie!
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 TBSP powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 3 TBSP jello
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP corn starch
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together the cold butter, flour, and powdered sugar in a mixer or a food processor. At first it will be crumbly but eventually it will form into a ball.
- Spray a pie pan with cooking spray. Press the ball of dough into the pie pan.
- Puncture the crust with a fork multiple times to vent it. Cook the crust for 15 minutes. Make sure to check it often.
- While the crust is baking prepare the filling. Mix 1 1/2 cups of cold water, 3 TBSP jello, 3/4 cup sugar, and 2 TBSP of corn starch in a medium sized sauce pan. Heat it over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick and glossy. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Prep the strawberries by washing and cutting them to bite sized pieces. Make sure the strawberries are all the way dry.
- Slowly add the glaze to the strawberries. Just add enough glaze until the strawberries are covered. You might not use all the glaze. Pour the strawberries into the crust. Top with whipped cream and enjoy!